Goal for 2013 - 50,000 + books!

fundraising
Last Update: Jan 31, 2013

Sunday, August 28, 2011

The power of the Maha Mantra... on paper!


Posted by : Bhakta Sam

On sankirtana at the University of Toronto, I found the passing students to be mostly very friendly. One incident that sticks out in my mind involved a young lady who was walking towards my direction and visibly looking at the cover of the book I was holding (Chant and Be Happy). She was quite curious, so I made a point to talk to her as she approached. I wasn't surprised when she slowed down and stopped by me - we talked for a couple of minutes about meditation and the contents of the book. She looked through it and was interested in taking it, but when I asked for a small donation, she became hesitant and gave the book back. I felt disappointed but didn't know what else to do, so I gave her one of our prasadam cookies. This cookie had a printed copy of the Maha Mantra inside the plastic baggy. She noticed this right away and I took the opportunity to say "that's a mantra - you would learn more about it in that book". Right away she said "give me the book", reached in her purse and found some change for a donation! It
was a stunning change of mood and all because of the Maha Mantra.

No comments:

Post a Comment