Goal for 2013 - 50,000 + books!

fundraising
Last Update: Jan 31, 2013

Sunday, August 7, 2011

It's a mad mad world


Submitted by : Bhakta Sam
One memorable interaction from today's book distribution was with a man who recognized the picture of John Lennon on the cover of 'Chant and Be Happy'. Mangal-Aarti was talking to him, but looked uncomfortable so I came over and starting chatting with him. Rolling up his sleeve, he pointed out a tattoo and said that John Lennon was his hero. He said he was a musician from a famous band in Manchester, although I forgot to ask which band it was. He was also somewhat puffed-up, claiming to have millions of dollars and being very proud of his position. Unfortunately, he was totally intoxicated and also somewhat belligerent on the subject of John Lennon and after his
initial curiousity, not very interested in taking a copy. He started quoting Lennon's famous song "God": "I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Gita... I just believe in me" and saying that he had heard every interview John ever gave. I tried to stay positive and pointed out that John was the kind of person who only believed something he could experience and that the book was also not about belief, but
rather about how to have a genuine experience. I talked about other songs John Lennon and pointed out that he had never read his words from Chant and Be Happy. Turning to page 45, I read him something from John's interview and tried to stay focused on just getting a copy into his hands, trusting that Krishna would work his magic if this man just give him a chance. At one point I remember him trying to impress me by
telling me he had $30 million dollars and that I should know him - just replied by saying that one quarter would be sufficient to support printing costs and so please take a copy. I'm not sure what made the difference and we weren't talking for all that long (although it felt like longer!), but eventually he just stopped and said "Yes, man. Okay, I can respect that" and moved to give me a big, fragrant hug. In
the moment, I was just so happy that he chose to connect by taking a copy that I returned the hug, despite the smell! He pulled out a loonie, gave it to me and moved on. It was a great lesson in staying positive and remembering to remind the reluctant that the benefits of chanting do NOT come from belief at all. We can feel them with just a little sincerity and an honest curiousity. I think John Lennon would
agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment