Goal for 2013 - 50,000 + books!

fundraising
Last Update: Jan 31, 2013

Monday, August 8, 2011

A first time magic


Submitted by : Bhaktin Rashmi
Last Friday was not the first time I was out on sankirtan, but it did feel like I had never done it before. I joined Mangal Aarti to share Srila Prabhupada’s books with students at Ryerson University in the heart of downtown Toronto. As the weather was very good, I found that a lot of students were on campus but they were very unresponsive to my meager attempts to get them to stop and listen to me. After spending 10 min not being able to stop a single person, out of impatience I approached Mangal Aarti for advice. She made me watch what she has learnt from HG Vaisesika Prabhu as she approached a person and distributed a Perfection of Yoga to him making him walk away chanting the name of Gauranga. Watching this inspired me to be more confident and doing my duty of at least putting the book in their hand. As Vaisesika Prabhu has taught us, every person I approached after that, I made sure that they touched a book and somewhere my new found confidence inspired me to go that extra distance in making sure they took the book. My hesitation had suddenly disappeared. I found that in the next half an hour, I had successfully distributed 6 books just by breaking out of my comfort zone and putting my trust in Srila Prabhupada’s books. The joy I got from distributing those 6 books was unmatched by anything I had ever experienced. It made me realise how powerful the art of sankirtan is and how essential it was for my progress in Krishna Consciousness. I was so desperate to experience that happiness again that I couldn’t resist but keep distributing books, this time outside Urban Edge Yoga. Having the same mood and confidence, I managed to distribute 2 more books and came to the realization that there was nothing more pleasing in this world than this.
Lord Chaitanya's mission is all happiness : Saba avatara Sara Shiromani - Kevala Ananada Kanda

No comments:

Post a Comment