Goal for 2013 - 50,000 + books!

fundraising
Last Update: Jan 31, 2013

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Power of Krishna Book - Bhagvat Katha


I was at University of Toronto trying to connect with some students when I met a tall pale looking guy. It was a very hot day but he was wearing a black leather looking jacket with a woolen hat and I thought perhaps he was crazy. Still I started to speak with him and to my greatest surprise he said he had a Bhagavad Gita but he had left his copy in his old home. I asked him to take another copy and give a donation which he readily agreed to do. As we kept talking I realised that he had impersonal philosophies. He started to talk about how he doesn't believe in personal form of God and I felt it best not to argue with him and preserve my energy. But to my greatest surprise he proceeded on to quote mantras from Bhagavad Gita and how Krishna was the 'Supreme Personality of Godhead' and he did not believe it. Then he went on to describe the Brahama Vimohan lila in great details from Krishna book like he had read it yesterday. He was speaking almost verbatim about how Lord Brhama stole all the cows and Krishna expanded himself into all calves and cowherd boys. As he kept claiming to be a non-believe he kept repeating Bhagavat Katha. I started to relaise the potency of Srila Prabhupada's books and the influence of Sri Krishna's passtimes on one's consciousness. Even though he didn't believe anything, glories of the Lord were etched in his mind. Out of curiosity I asked him what he did and to my further surprise he said he was a Philosophy major at University of Toronto.

As you read Srimad Bhagvatam, the heart is naturally cleansed and the hankering to read increases.
3.25.25)

satam prasangan mama virya-samvido

bhavanti hrit-karna-rasayanah kathah

In the association of pure devotees, discussion of the pastimes and activities of the Supreme Personality of Godhead is very pleasing and satisfying to the ear and the heart. By cultivating such knowledge one gradually becomes advanced on the path of liberation, and thereafter he is freed, and his attraction becomes fixed. Then real devotion and devotional service begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment