Goal for 2013 - 50,000 + books!

fundraising
Last Update: Jan 31, 2013

Monday, July 25, 2011

These books will solve the problems of life and help reduce the miseries of life


I met an Indian girl at university campus - she was really young and from Delhi. I tried to show her Bhagavad Gita and nectar of instruction explaining their value in her coming years in Toronto. But like many she said she knew all about yoga as she was from India. I generally don't but this time I really tried to reason with her but she kept ignoring and avoiding the books saying she knew everything and doesn't need anything. So I gave her a card and told her to keep in touch and invited her to free lunch at temple. She became a little curious but by this time I was ready with tears in my eyes. Finally remembering a letter from Vijaya Prabhu to Book distribution nectar about how Srila Prabhupada encouraged us to preach directly, I decided to try being bold. I explained to her how I wish she understood how rare these books are and her money doesn’t matter but even if she gave a penny it is magnified millions of times in wiping her Karma when offered in the temple. Something then changed her heart and she said ok I will give you a donation. She dug out 2 dollars from her bag and was still refusing to take the books, but I insisted she take at least a Bhakti Yoga. Once she had taken the book, she started to tell me she was starting her masters in Engineering degree in UOfT. I told her how my friend was also from Delhi and was finishing her PhD in UofT. Turned out this little girl had also done her Engineering from IIT, the most prestigious engineering school in India. I was thinking about the hard work this little girl was putting in and how the system is designed to completely cheat us of any ability to see spiritual reality. It was so hard for her to even consider perhaps there is something more she can learn about. She did leave happy and gave her cell phone to stay in touch for future.

Quote from Srila Prabhupada
Deepak prabhu introduced me to Srila Prabhupada and said, "Oh, this is Gopinath Acharya das. He is one of our leading book distributors." So Srila Prabhupada was actually very interested; and he turned his head very regally, he looked at me and asked me what I said to sell the books. So I mumbled and fumbled something to the effect that, "Oh, Srila Prabhupada, I just tell them it's about yoga. They think it's about exercises and like that." Srila Prabhupada thought very pensively for 30 seconds or so and he said, "You should tell people that these books will solve the problems of life and help reduce the miseries of life."
From Following Srila Prabhupada, DVD #6

No comments:

Post a Comment