Goal for 2013 - 50,000 + books!

fundraising
Last Update: Jan 31, 2013

Monday, July 18, 2011

Summer time tales


Last thursday I was at University of Toronto location and it was a huge challenge for me to be there due to a combination of scorching burning heat and slow traffic of people. That morning while reading Srimad Bhagavatam I specifically read the examples of great personalities like Rantidev who made monumental sacrifices for upholding the purposes of Dharma. So somehow as the heat kept drying up my throat, the whole day my mind kept ringing 'Rantidev' in my ears and i kept feeling guilty. A quick description of Rantidev's extraordinary austerity I had read that morning 'Rantideva, after going without even water for forty-eight days, somehow obtained some food and water, but then some beggars came and he gave it all away to them.' SB 10.72.21
At one point I was really down because hardly anyone could be seen on streets and it was extremely hot and as I was praying to Krishna, that's when He sent these two people. As I started to talk to them, they told me they were just talking about yoga and they thought yoga was just for gays and girls. They were so excited to find these ancient books and made me take out every book from my bag. One of them even had a tatoo of 'Karmanyeva adhikarastu' on his arm. At first they took the Bhagavad gita and gave me everything they had - but they also wanted the Searching for Vedic India. So I let them have it and they said they would find a bank and get me money. I didnt think much of it but they had me surprised when they came back after a while with a generous donation and promise to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment