Goal for 2013 - 50,000 + books!

fundraising
Last Update: Jan 31, 2013

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Magic show of Maya

I met a young girl near Ryerson University and asked her if she was from Toronto. She started to explain that she had moved here from Ukraine and I described to her the various festivities we have in Ukraine every year. Soon we were talking and she explained she was studying Architecture at University and I complimented her on how it's not an easy field and how there is such scope here. To my surprise she said, doesn't matter what I am doing when I graduate I will be a over qualified receptionist. It didn't sound like a fair deal to me, a bad bargain at best. I was thinking what makes people sign-up for such a bad bargain, heavy fees, hours of study and an under paying job without any complains. (I remember Devamrita Swami trying to explain this very same point about where her material pursuits will lead her to a guest during InSpirit, but she was convinced otherwise. I could appreciate that this young one was able to at least see it and be frank.) And here we are presenting such a simple and beautiful way of life for just some donations and people find it hard to even consider. The curtain of Maya is so strong. That is why Krishna says in Bhagavad Gita 7.14:

daivi hy esa guna-mayi
mama maya duratyaya
mam eva ye prapadyante
mayam etam taranti te

This divine energy of Mine, consisting of the three modes of material nature, is difficult to overcome. But those who have surrendered unto Me can easily cross beyond it.

We still talked and I encouraged her to read a small book which she took for a donation. I requested her to visit us and we can only hope she find the time for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment