Goal for 2013 - 50,000 + books!

fundraising
Last Update: Jan 31, 2013

Saturday, July 9, 2011

A book for everyone

It was a new place and a new people, the sun was as hot as I think it could get and there were a lot of people moving at a very fast pace. You could call it the Urban Jungle and I just did not know what to do. I was so lost for next steps that I just stood still, unable to speak anything, once I waved at someone and they turned and looked at me and no words came from my mouth because I do not know how to handle big crowds. Amidst this craziness 4 young students stopped and said yea we really like Yoga. Initially i was thinking they are so young, what will they be interested in but I tried. So I handed a book to one of the girls and said it was a book on yoga and mind control, while to the other girl I handed another book and said it was a book on yoga and love. So others started to say they want the same one. So I handed them all Bhakti yoga and started to talk about it. That's when one of them said she had heard about Sanskrit etc and on probing I found that she had taken religious study course. So I handed her the Bhagavad Gita and now everyone wanted it. I tried to explain the picture of changing bodies and they all so related to it. Then I made them experiment by closing their eyes and watching what’s going on. When they described what they saw, I asked them about the identity of the observer and they started to understand they were not body or thoughts. Two of them were sisters and could see how bodies have changed but they were still same. They each took a book and shelled out all Laxmi they had which was not much. Then I asked them what they were into and one of them was in high school, other person studying French, English literature and a last person studying psychology. So i realized from this experience, young or old Srila Prabhupada's books are for everyone. Everyone wants to know who they are - and what better way to do that than reading this transcendental literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment