Goal for 2013 - 50,000 + books!

fundraising
Last Update: Jan 31, 2013

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Spontaneous Sankirtan


There was a huge parade in downtown Toronto this weekend and I got my first experience seeing people in full party mood. In the insanity that engulfed everyone you could still see that people for some reason people held close a sense of sophistication - an arrogance of yes we can enjoy material nature. Yet through the curtain of loud music and costumes one could see the run down bodies and minds consumed by alcohol. School kids to old people alike, everyone was clearly under the influence and somehow I was trying to approach them to take a book. I met a group of high school kids and they somehow got all excited about yoga. First three girls were interested and they dug out few cents from their bags. Then one of their friends, another high school kid in a really strange outfit said he wanted yoga and asked for a book - I showed him a picture of Prabhupada and he wanted it but had no money. I asked him to ask his friends and they didn't have anything, so then one of his friends who have just bought a book said she would ask people for some money. So very spontaneously she started to stop people and ask them for some money and show them the perfection of yoga. No one told her but her sankirtan spirit was spontaneously awakened by coming in contact with the books and I gave them this book. I put a condition and asked them to chant Gauranga - I sang it out and told them to repeat it which they joyfully did dancing to the beats. So glorious is the mercy of lord Caitanya that even in such mad times it rains and sweeps the heart of a living entity.

No comments:

Post a Comment