Goal for 2013 - 50,000 + books!

fundraising
Last Update: Jan 31, 2013

Thursday, March 17, 2011

A gift from Vancouver

I met two amazing people near Bay and Bloor. He looked at the Bhagavad gita and said 'Yes, I have been to the Krishna temple' I was thrilled and introduced myself and asked him what took him there. He said he was looking for meditation and deeper truths. As he already had the Gita, I offered him Isopanishad which he appreciated. I gave his friend a perfection of yoga and she too leaned over and started to look at Iso- I showed them how the mantras are sung and he just offered me a donation without my asking. She started now inquiring about transcendental meditation and told me how she was practicing it in Iran years ago and lost touch. I offered her the Bhagavad gita and told her this is book on transcendental meditation. She was inquiring re Maharishi yogi repeatedly but as soon as I opened Bhagavad gita, it opened at the chapter of 'transcendental knowledge' and she took to it. She requested me to walk with her to the bank so she can give laxmi. While she was withdrawing money I got a few minutes to talk with the guy and he immediately confided that a few years ago in BC Vancouver, on a cold night he had met a sankirtan devotee who was distributing books and gave him a Gita. At that time he thought either this guy is crazy or the book means a lot to him, so I should take it. At that time he didn't have much laxmi but he did read the Gita and came to our temple. I told him how we look for peace and its so hard to get. Next he confided that his girlfriend just broke up with him two weeks ago and it was due to stress. He started asking how he can help her and we discussed it. Ultimately when both of them had got their books I showed them how to chant Gauranga.
That one meeting with a sankirtan devotee had got them here today-lets hope their wanderings are over and they can come and study Gita with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment