Goal for 2013 - 50,000 + books!

fundraising
Last Update: Jan 31, 2013

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Beyond barriers


I was on a road trip to Chi-chin-itza, an ancient Mayan ruin and the driver and his assistants spoke very minimal English. In the villages no one spoke English – and I don’t speak Spanish. Amidst this situation I was praying to Krishna to create a situation so I could find someone who could take a book from me. That’s when I ran into a young boy who was assisting the driver and he could squeeze in a few English words. Actually I didn’t do anything, this boy just turned around and asked me if I had called for him. While I was praying internally that he showed interest, I hadn’t uttered a word so I was pleasantly surprised. I jumped at the opportunity Krishna had created and responded saying that I hadn’t said anything but perhaps it was the soul. Instantly he started talking and described what he knew about the soul. I asked him about Karma and Yoga and he explained with the few words he had. He talked about the soul and out of body experiences and I gave him the one copy of Spanish Perfection of yoga I was carrying. I tried to show a picture of Srila Prabhupada and he promised to read it. Later I was how this little kid was reading the book non-stop all day and even when the sky was dark and I was struggling to see words on my Chaitanya Caritamrita copy, he was bending over and trying to soak in last few words. I felt a great happiness because on my way up I was hankering for devotee association almost feeling lost and on my way back just through one book; I suddenly had another devotee in the vicinity.

No comments:

Post a Comment