Goal for 2013 - 50,000 + books!

fundraising
Last Update: Jan 31, 2013

Friday, September 2, 2011

An encounter in Vancouver

Arriving here in the beautiful Radha Madan Mohan temple in Vancouver I was waiting for the deity doors to open. So I sat near Srila Prabhupada and started to chant. Japa was really nice but i could see a young indian girl walk in with her father and they both sat in the corner while i continued to chant. As I was chanting, something in my heart was nagging me to go and talk to this girl. So to my big surprise I stopped japa and went to talk with this girl. I was little nervous as I knew no one in temple,  but something pulled me in her direction. We started to talk and she explained how she wanted to know who she was and do some good to world but dudnt know where to look. I remembered how I had recently read in the introduction to bhagavad Gita Srila Prabhhupada explain that this inquiry is primary to human life and called it Brahma jigyasa. So I requested her to read that paragraph and as soon as she read that she was hooked. I asked her and she agreed instantly to buy the book. We continued to talk and went for a walk in the beautiful gardens of vancouver temple. She started to explain how she was 24 and just out of a 2 year relationship and had seen devotees chanting on street and one devotee had told her 'soul is eternal' and she was very attracted to this and it made her come to temple. She had been coming to temple for 3 weeks and appreciating surroundings but she had not spoken to anyone yet. Just her appreciative attitude had made her so favourable. We sat together and made her read aloud sections from bhagavad Gita and nectar of devotion that spoke about her problems of identity and love. She explored japa and promised to come back in 2 days.let's hope she does but it was nice to see how slightest appreciation for Krishna's devotees completely changes the direction of one's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment