Goal for 2013 - 50,000 + books!

fundraising
Last Update: Jan 31, 2013

Monday, June 13, 2011

Rat in a box


Yesterday was nirjala ekadashi and I could barely maintain myself for longer than 10 minutes on street. I was looking for some pepping up when this interesting couple stopped. The girl had hair all colors of the rainbow but both she and her boy friend were interested in spiritual life. She started to admire the Bhagavad Gita, read a few Sanskrit words and was really into it. Meanwhile I noticed that the guy was talking to his pizza box saying 'hey buddy, you stay right in there'. I thought perhaps he was speaking to his food and asking the pizza to stay in and chuckled within thinking hmm heights of personalism. They had very little money but they both were very interested in the Bhagavad gita and the coming back, so I let them take those for their donation. Then i noticed the girl also was talking to the pizza box- she turned around to me and said I feel very nice i saved a life today and opened her pizza box and there was a live rat inside. I jumped in fright and somehow curbed a loud shriek - something in my heart said Mangal-arti at least for now try to be a devotee because these people think you are one. Somehow trying to keep a straight face i heard their story of how they picked the rat from the street as it was going to die and they were taking him to an animal protection centre. A thousand thoughts rushed through my head including questions about Karma and the fallen state of Kali - but amidst all stood tall one fact - Srila Prabhupada's books are the greatest source of mercy for anyone and everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment