Goal for 2013 - 50,000 + books!

fundraising
Last Update: Jan 31, 2013

Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Book attracts the chosen person

Posted by : Mahabhagavat Das

Recently, for Doors Open Toronto, I was attending to the book table at the Krishna temple. A young couple, names starting with A & W, walked up to me and started asking about the books, the philosophy, the chanting. They chanted Hare Krishna Mahamantra right away. They said they were going through a rough time and that they were looking for some answers. I gave them Inspirit cards and showed them the Bhagavad Gita and talked through the entire book, but while they listened attentively, they remained non-commital. The girl's eyes were on the Krsna book all the time. In the middle of talking about Bhagavad Gita As It Is, I paused and showed her the pictures and just said that these were stories about Krishna's interactions with other living entities, that each chapter was a story from an event in Krishna's life, but that there was a lot of wisdom woven into the story, and that we could learn a lot just by reading those stories. She felt an instant fondness for the pictures, admiring Krishna and remarking how cute he looked. She then immediately pulled out her wallet, and placed the donation right on top of "her" copy of the Krsna book. They both thanked me for spending the time with them, just imagine, how decent they are, that they thanked me even as I was feeling very grateful to them for giving me the opportunity to just be there and share something about Krishna!

So, it is not that I am doing anything, the Book on Krishna, being non-different from Krishna, has already chosen the person who will be showered with unlimited grace, and I am there just to give me an opportunity to participate somehow and get some purification that way, otherwise Krishna is capable of going to anyone by Himself without needing me in the least. And even if I sometimes get in Krishna's way by saying/doing/showing the wrong thing, He makes it right always by making miracles happen.

2 comments:

  1. Haribol! Wonderful story. It reminds me that in book distribution, we have to be sensitive in our interactions - looking (at what the person is giving us in body language and eye movements), listening (not just rambling our "script" but engaging them with interest) and being open to, as Magal-aarti writes, making miracles unfold. "Right here, right now" Thank you for this report. Jai!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for the encouragement! I find your choice of login-name gokartmozart very intriguing. :-)

    ReplyDelete